Monday, February 15, 2016

My Baseline Career Plan

My baseline career plan so far is to finish the Entrepreneurship program with an Entrepreneurship degree at Haywood Community College by 2018 and then transfer to Western Carolina University to get a Bachelor's degree in Entrepreneurship by 2020.  I’m hoping these two degrees will help me learn everything I need to know to be successful in starting my own business because of right now, I have no idea where to start.  This career plan is a completely new idea to me because as long as I can remember, I’ve wanted to be involved in either forensics or marketing.  Some things have happened in the past two years that made me have to change my career plans to something I can manage and finish online.  I really feel like running my own business would be perfect for me because I like to be in charge of everything and feel like I have control and I feel like I have some really good ideas.  Also while, I’m in college, I would really like to work on myself and make me my best asset, like The Start-Up of You said.  Before I start my own business though, I am going to go through real estate school so I can have something to do while starting my business up and so I can have something to fall back on if my business doesn't work out.  It’s said that the best businesses workout because the owner didn’t completely quit everything to do it.  They still had their normal job while starting out and thought practically about their business ideas and concepts not to mention the functionality and the reality of whether they would make it in their field or not.  To successfully start a business, you have to have enough money saved up to make it a long period of time without a regular salary coming in every two weeks.  From research I’ve done, you need at least 3 months of living money saved up, if not more, not to mention money for the building, furnishings, supplies, marketing, etc.  I feel like if I did real estate, which is something I also enjoy, I would make enough money to save to support me while I followed my dreams.  My main goal is to start a cupcake shop.  I love baking and find it very relaxing and something I feel like I would enjoy making my life, especially the decorating part.  I also feel like a cute, little bakery is something the Canton and Waynesville area need.  The closet cupcake shops are all the way in Asheville and it would also bring life to either Canton or Waynesville's downtown areas.  My bakery would be called Babycakes and sell a lot of different flavors and designs.  I have plans for the classic flavors like chocolate, vanilla, and red velvet but I also want fun flavors and seasonal items such as carrot cake, pumpkin cupcakes, and lemon cupcakes.  From there, I would like to expand into working with cakepops and cookies, as well as catering and weekly classes for kids and their parents.  I feel like starting out, it’s best not to overload my plate and to also see if I’m even successful enough in the first place that people would want me to cater their weddings and parties.  If I continue to work hard enough maybe I'll start a chain of Babycake Bakeries and see where it takes me from there.  I would like to have Babycakes up and running within three years of graduating college.  As soon as I graduate, get a job as a real estate agent, and save up enough money to live off of along with my boyfriend, or husband as he would be by then, and use for the business, I will start presenting my business plan to the Haywood County Commerce and getting licenses.  If that doesn’t work out, I also have ideas for businesses like a bath store similar to Lush Cosmetics or an arts and crafts place like Mrs. Arty Pants.  I’m very creative and enjoy projects I get to be imaginative on.  The bath store would be called Ivory Rose and I haven’t completely thought about the art place yet.  But as of now I plan to stick with my cupcake store idea.  Besides, Babycakes is such a cute name that doesn’t need to go to waste.  And if it all fails completely, which I feel like it won’t, I’ll still have my real estate background to fall back on.   

No comments:

Post a Comment